Mark Coleman - Fresno Criminal Lawyer

Ask A Lawyer: Can I withdraw my plea after I’ve made a plea deal?

Ask a Lawyer is an occasional feature that highlights the answers that the attorneys at the Law Offices of Law Office of Roger Nuttall give to questions asked at

I plead to a charge in exchange for a reduced sentence even though I didn’t do anything wrong. I regret admitting to a crime I didn’t commit, and want to take it back. Can I withdraw my plea? If not, can I ask for an extension? I promised my son I would attend his graduation.

Mark Coleman: It is difficult to withdraw your plea. You need to have a good reason other than buyer’s remorse. Good grounds can include failure to be advised of consequences or ineffectiveness of counsel. It doesn’t sound like you didn’t understand; you have just changed your mind. You need to meet with an attorney to explain all of your options. Most courts will allow you to turn yourself in later if you have a good reason and no violent history.


Categorised in: